A new initiative from Sport Ireland “HER Outdoors” will take place from 9th – 15th August which will celebrate women and girls in the outdoors.
Sport Ireland HER Outdoors Week is an opportunity for ALL females to escape to the outdoors and perhaps try something new. This campaign looks to empower females to find what the outdoors means to them by redefining the perception of outdoor sport whilst evoking the excitement that comes with discovering the outdoors.
Similarly, redefining what ‘sporty’ looks like and reframing what sense of pride and achievement is felt when participating is crucial to the increased and sustainable engagement of females in sport.
If you haven’t already seen the new Sport Ireland research on teenage girls, please find it here.
Cycling Ireland will highlight a discipline each day during HER Outdoors so we are looking for clubs and members to engage in a number of ways.
What we’re looking for from clubs;
- We are asking clubs/coaches/members what your cycling tips are. Only one or two lines is needed per tip. Please include the name of the coach/person, club, discipline and how many years you have been coaching (if a coach)/riding. We are hoping to do something similar to the following: Tips for avoiding cycling injury (cyclingireland.ie)
- If you are running a programme or event during HER Outdoors please let us know so we can promote on our social media channels and include it on the dedicated Sport Ireland HER Outdoors webpage. Please include;
• Title of event
• One line description of the event
• URL of event page/ sign up page
• 1 x jpeg image – no text or logos on the image (if you have one)
- If there is a particular skill in your discipline you’d like to highlight and record how to do it please send it in to us so we can show case on our social media channels.
- If there is a particular coach/committee member/rider in your club you wish to highlight please let us know so we can show case on our social media channels.
- If you have any unique ideas you’d love for us to highlight during this week please get in touch, e.g. you may want to do a “This is what to expect when you arrive at our club” video … the possibilities are endless!
As a club you may want to;
- Put on a “Come and Try” session to engage potential new members
- Host a training event for club members eg skills based, learning to race etc
- Run a club spin and social event after
- Start or finish any programmes within the club during that week
- Highlight a female coach (es) / committee member (s) on your social channels
- Highlight a male (s) within the club who is helping to engage more females in the club/supporting females in roles within the club on your social channels
- Film and upload a particular skill in your discipline to educate your members
- Highlight and celebrate what your club does to engage and retain females
- Please send us your pictures/tag us on social media with you out and about during HER Outdoors Week using the hashtags below.
- Perhaps you may encourage your friends/family members to join you on a bike ride this week?
- Have you always wanted to try a new discipline? This is your week!
- Have you any unique ideas you think we should do this week? Get in touch!
The Sport Ireland Outdoors logo, Her Outdoors Logo and Cycling Ireland (note the new logo) must be included on all print, online and digital assets in the lead up to and throughout HER Outdoors Week.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for logos and brand guidelines
Please tag the following in each social media post
And use the following hashtags;
Compulsory - #FindYourOutdoors #HEROutdoorsWeek #BikeLikeMe
Optional additions- #RealWomenRealStories #WomeninSportIRE
Please direct all enquiries to email@example.com