The Cycling Ireland Ride Leader Award aims to provide leaders with an introduction to cycle leading and the competencies required to lead and manage groups on a cycle.
Cycling Ireland Ride Leader training will provide leaders with the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively lead and manage a group of cyclists on the road in club/group rides.
The course will explore the roles and responsibilities the Ride Leader will assume and prepare learners as Ride Leaders to provide safe and enjoyable cycling experiences for people of all levels of ability and age.
To attend the course candidates must:
• be over 18 years of age.
• have the fitness level to ride for approximately 20km, on a route that may contain hilly sections.
• be comfortable cycling in a group in close proximity to other riders.
• be comfortable cycling on busy roads in close proximity to traffic.
• be comfortable taking either hand off the handlebars.
• be able to ride in a straight line whilst looking over either shoulder.
• be able to fix a puncture.
• be aware of the basic laws pertaining to cycling on the road.
• attend with a bike and helmet in safe working order.
The comprehensive syllabus for the award includes Risk Assessment, Safety Checks, Assessing Riders Ability, Group Cycling, Group Management, Planning a Cycle and Leadership.
Ride Leaders will cycle a simulated club/group ride and practically apply techniques, skills and newly acquired knowledge covered in the classroom.
Ride Leaders will be required to lead part of the pre-risk-assessed route. Leaders will be assessed on their ability to lead.
On completion of the course, the Ride Leader will be able to facilitate Club Ride(s) and/or Group Ride(s) and utilise a range of communication and leadership strategies to effectively lead a cycle.